icon menu
open content close content

University Foundation Course

The University Foundation Course (UFC) in Business Management that we offer here at St George'is recognised by London University Royal Holloway and accepted by around 20 UK universities.


Students have the opportunity to experience business in action through their involvement in business enterprises and workshops, through visits to businesses and through the use of real life case studies. Mirroring a degree course, the UFC is a blend of seminars, lectures and self-study assignments that require good writing, analytical, evaluative skills and is a course-work based qualification.


We run a range of business and enterprise workshops and take part in national competitions such as Student Investor, Young Enterprise, and the Tenner Challenge.


The one-year or two-year Business Foundation course is a good preparation for undergraduate study in a wide range of Business related degree courses. The course provides a good grounding for employment in many areas, including: marketing, economics, finance, accounting, operations, human resources, and the Public Sector, as well as preparing budding entrepreneurs who wish to start their own business. In addition to completing the Business Management modules, students will be expected to achieve a level of English Language acceptable to UK universities. This may be a C grade (or better) in GCSE English Language or 6.0 IELTS.


Hours and Information

Number of hours:
Minimum of 15 taught hours per week. In addition students are expected to complete a minimum of 5 hours additional private study per week. Can be taught in combination with other courses on offer depending on timetable.

Maximum class size:
14 students

Minimum enrolment age:
17 years old at the start of the course

Minimum IELTS level:
4.5 in each skill* (those graded lower than this will be asked to join IELTS classes at their own expense)

Usual timetable:
Monday, Wednesday & Fridays 09:30-10:50/11:00-12:20/13:10-14:30/14:40-16:00

All course material provided by St George’s and are included in the price. Charges may be made for replacing lost or damaged course books


Course academic content

Module 1:
The Foundation and Organisation of Companies; Production Methods and Quality Management
Module 2:
Market Structures; Supply and Demand; Globalisation
Module 3:
Marketing; Market Research; Marketing Strategy;
Module 4:
Business Finance
Module 5:
Human Resources
Module 6:
Business Research Project


Additional Assessment: Students will be required to complete written assignments throughout the year to assess their critical thinking and ability to construct written texts in accordance with undergraduate studies


Course assessment and grading
All work is graded in line with A-Level standard marking.


Each week there is a 40 minute test on work covered that week.


As the College is a member of the RSA, each weekend the Director of Studies sets a piece of self study, extended essay work based on the RSA Animate series. Relevant module class work is set on a weekly basis. Each module 1-5 is graded via a end of module examination and a piece of extended essay writing. This better prepares the students for the work they will be expected to produce at undergraduate study.



There must be a 98% attendance rating on the SERCO Eportal system to ensure a pass at the end of each unit stage (98% leaves 2% room for any personal issues or issues out of our control).

Register Interest